Sunday, February 11, 2007

49th time around

2/11/07 7:54 AM
This is getting more like the Super Bowl each year. For me, that is. I’ve never started my game day coverage early in the morning like this before. One thing I haven’t mentioned in previous Grammy commentary is that I don’t care, for the most part, who gets what award. The categories get more finely sliced and parsed as the years go on. There might be an award for “Best Female Guitar Solo / Scat Singing While Wearing an Evening Gown By Some Fabulous Designer” – if not this year, then not too far off. What I’ve always watched the Grammys for is the performances. There’ll be new acts that you have never seen before and people that you always enjoy seeing. And they’re performing for their peers. I’ve always thought that added a little edge to the performance.
The event does manage to build anticipation about what music will get what award, but I find it almost irrelevant to distinguish between Song of the Year and Record of the Year or Best Pop Male Performance and Best Male Rock Performance or Best Pop Performance by a Group or . . . well, you get the idea.

The friends upon whom I’ve foisted my comments for the last couple of years know that this isn’t any deep analysis of the music industry or awards ceremonies. I’m just a guy who loves music and loves to talk about it. This is a little performance of my own and I hope that it might have a couple of amusing moments. I enjoy the back-and-forth that has started to develop. Friends have replied to my commentary and some small discussions have gone on for a few days after the event. I’ve never started bugging you all twelve hours before the event, though. Good Morning! Grammy Day!

14 comments:

MQM said...

This is from my friend Jay Bethel - a musician/composer/guitar player extraordinaire:
"I personally don't like the grammys mostly due to sour grapes. The haves get together and celebrate themselves and the fact that they have. Not that many of them are not fabulous. It's just an affirmation that the machine still exists.

On the other hand, if I were nominated, I'd be out getting my nails done right now."

Franny said...

I too look forward to the Grammys every year. I generally hate award ceremonies of any kind, but its that one performance that we know is meant to tug at our heartstrings happens that I watch for. It's Tracy Chapman singing "Fast Car" or Suzanne Vega doing, "My name is Luka". I know, I know ,...the lights are down, they sit on a stool and a single spotlight illuminates their sad faces. You can hear a pin drop and no matter how staged and sappy it is, when the spotlight goes off, ..I cry.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I'm glad you're doing this, Mike - this is fun!

Anonymous said...

I don't look forward to the grammys but I do look forward to MQM looking forward to the grammys and this interactive is so much better than the phone

Anonymous said...

Edit that cause you don't have to type on the phone.
Maybe I'll be ready for next years grammys.

Anonymous said...

The Grammys are forgiven their (many)sins forever, in my books, due to the amazing Paul Simon appearance a few (many) years back when after about 1 bar, PS stopped the song cold and said No no no, and restarted the thing and kicked serious butt. I am unsure which song, but it was from Graceland.

Anonymous said...

The only thing that really scares me is the bad--very bad--bottled blue cheese dressing. It gets a one day Grammy pass.

Anonymous said...

Well, if you'd stop assing around with yer day job, p'raps you could make your own bleu cheese, woman. hell, you could raise yer own goats, for that matter. And poor a flour in the dang studio, as well.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I love goats! If only we had a full acre...
Fab Squared Goat Rescue.
Oh--was this supposed to be about the Grammys?

Anonymous said...

I have been chewing my nails all day about the Best Polka Album. While of course Kimmy Sturr is the sentimental fave, it feels like the new kids really deserve a chance.

Anonymous said...

Well, if we all sang Alice Cooper's largest hit at the dark of the moon (bringing us semi Grammy-ward), p'raps we could blow the school to pieces...

actually, It now occurs to me that middle schoolers could raise your goats for you, on their land, and you would be able to call it a charter school and charter also relates to sailing and oh! oh! OHHHHHH! I can't take the synchronicity. I am in fear of an infarction

Franny said...

Paul Simon it was "Late in the Evening" and I also loved that stop and go.

Anonymous said...

Are we wagering?
I'd have a couple of bucks on Corinne Bailet Rae if we were.

suckling pig mce said...

little known timfact...Late in the Evening was on Graceland, but only on the CD released in Mongolia (where goats all speak with an accent)