Sunday, February 11, 2007

10 hours and 11 minutes . . .

2/11/07 9:49 AM
So – I started this thing up in a new Blog titled “Too Much Monkey Business"
I'm still writing it in Word, though.
I’m more confident – less intimidated? – writing offline. Well, even when you’re putting a post together you are offline – but this page/venue/medium is familiar and comfortable. I’ve got somewhat more control over the typeface effects here in Word.
A few words about performance (see there? that’s what I mean) – as I type this I’ve got earphones on and I’m listening to “Crossroads” by Cream. This is a performance that was captured on a record back in the late 60’s or early 70’s. The guitar solo is a sort of benchmark/rite of passage for a certain stripe of musician. Some guitar players want to be able to nail it. (I'd like to be able to, someday) It was laid down in who knows how many takes – the one I’m thinking of might be a live recording. Anyway, it is a few minutes of fingers pressing strings against a fretboard – a snapshot of a given level of expertise and a certain type of taste at that moment in time. A performance. There may or may not be a memorable performance on tonight’s show, but if there is one I intend to witness it. Why? Why not?

No comments: