Friday, February 8, 2008

Yes, Yes, Yes.


Show Text - from Six Degrees for Sat. Feb 9
I’ve got to overstate this right now:
To yours truly, the Grammy Awards is the Super Bowl. You’ll probably hear me say that at least a couple more times this morning. That is perhaps the main reason that I feel okay about not doing a ‘challenge’ on today’s show – the Grammys just overrides anything else that I could think of doing.
I’m going to be playing Grammy winners from the past 50 years today, along with nominees from this year’s ceremony.

I’ve been blogging about the Grammys for a couple of years now – there is a small group of people – did I say small? I mean small – who I’ve pestered with my running commentary for the last couple of years. For the record, these are family and friends and maybe the occasional geek.
Geek? Well, what else would you call someone who will be sitting there watching the Grammys on TV with a computer next to them? (Or even possibly watching TV on their computer?)
I’ll be doing that – and I’ll have my spicy chicken wings and
a readily refilled/bottomless glass of Dewar’s, too.

Funny thing is – I’m actually a little more psyched about this year’s show than I’ve been for a while. Among the nominees there are some great new artists and some really good new music.
Sad news – as of Thursday night, February 7th Amy Winehouse has been denied a visa to attend the ceremony in Los Angeles. I’m really hoping she gets well – she’s got a lot to offer us and I want her to be around for a long time. She’s nominated in several categories – Best New Artist, Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Song of the Year, (yeah, I know – those ****ing categories), Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and Best Pop Vocal Album. Whew!
Herbie Hancock is also a nominee this year, for his album "River: The Joni Letters". Album of the Year, Best Contemporary Jazz Album, Best Jazz Instrumental Solo – Herbie Hancock for “Both Sides Now” from the "River" disk.

More here later - got the day job tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me be the 1st to say, "Congrats on the cool blog and I'll miss Winehouse too." (Bitch owes me $20 for 2 rocks ; )

Anonymous said...

So, my daughter calls Amy Winehouse a "hot mess". I never heard that expression so I had to ask her. She claims she was spotted with heroine in her beehive and there is video of her smoking crack. Is that perhaps why she was denied entry? And if its true, do really talented artists become "hot messes" or is it the other way around you must be a crazy mess to be a "real artist".

MQM said...

A Hot Mess??!!! Wow. Never heard that one, but it's perfect. And yes, I wonder some of those things, too:
- Must you first be a mess before you become a hot mess?
- Or must you just look like AW to become a hot mess? Provided that you are messing up.
- Or is being a hot mess all about the immediacy of your messing up? As opposed to a cold mess?
Give me an example of a cold mess.

Anonymous said...

a cold mess would be the day after a hot mess is made.